The Saint Anna
1823 Prytania St.
New Orleans, Louisiana
2016 Louisiana Landmarks Society Award of Excellence for Historic Preservation Award
2015 Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) Excellence in Construction Award for Historical Restoration/Renovation Less than $25 Million (awarded to Palmisano Contractors)
2016 Louisiana Landmarks Society Award of Excellence for Historic Preservation
Originally constructed as housing for widows and orphans of the yellow fever epidemics, The Saint Anna is a composition of several structures built and added on to over time. Built and run by women, the original masonry and plaster building went up in 1853 in the Greek Revival style, and was expanded in subsequent years to include an infirmary; renovations of the interior spaces took place throughout its history.
The renovation project adapts the three-story building to 23 modern multi-family residential units while maintaining the important historic elements of the interior, exterior, and overall site, in order to satisfy requirements for state and federal historic tax credits. A modern entry was designed to bring residents into the building from the dedicated parking lot. A curated central courtyard provides a place for gatherings, outdoor cooking and lounging. The residences themselves (one, two and three bedroom types) are light-filled and spacious, with open plans for modern living.
Significant elements of the buildings architecture were preserved wherever possible, and a full masonry and decorative plaster restoration and deterioration abatement was addressed at both the exterior and the interior of the building.